Monday, October 31, 2011

Kiribati's Stevie Wonder takes centre stage

Tebuatanga Katabono, also known as Mr Accurate, plays the keyboard during the Kiribati music concert at the Suva Civic Auditorium last Saturday. Picture: JONACANI LALAKOBAU

KIRIBATI's version of Stevie Wonder will be on show at the upcoming roadshow by touring entertainers from the island country.

Tebuatanga Katabono, aka Mr Accurate, is a blind 30-year renowned keyboard player who will showcase his talents tomorrow at the Suva Civic Auditorium.

Katabono said he began his love for music by playing with the guitar after listening to neighbours play every night in his home village in Tarawa.

"I am the only one who plays (music) in the family, not even my parents know music," said the musician.

Katabono started playing the keyboard soon after and said he learnt the keys through listening. "I ran away from home when I was still in primary school to pursue my dreams to be in a band because I loved it (music) so much and I couldn't stay away," he said.

Katabono said he had never looked back since then. "At first my parents were angry with me for not finishing school, but now they're both very proud," he said. The roadshow begins tomorrow in Suva before the entertainers visit other centres in the country.

Team leader and chief executive officer of the Kiribati Broadcasting and Publication Authority, Betarim Rimon said the tour was a tribute to Fiji composers and musicians who had influenced the development of music in Kiribati.

Serelisoni Moceica
Monday, October 31, 2011
Fiji Times

No comments: